Monday, January 14, 2013

The Returning to Work Mama


Before Christmas it hit me that I missed work. I missed contributing to my household. I missed feeling as if I had a purpose outside of raising children. And as shallow as it sounds, I missed putting on the array of pretty work-like clothes in my very abandoned wardrobe.

The urge to return to work felt very weird to me - I had spent so long, and so much of my time at home with Ryder (and Logan when he wasn't at school), that I got into a rhythm. I'd plan my days around errands, school drop offs/pick ups, the gym and my own little business, but it just felt like something was missing. That the rhythm had become a bit of a rut.

I toyed with the idea of returning to work for a few weeks and I mentioned it to hubby a couple of times when I felt that a 'suitable' position presented itself - so he knew after a few random phone calls about me telling him about 'XYZ' looking for someone, that I was considering it. And he supported me 100%.

It was just a matter of waiting for the right position to come along. I suppose I was lucky that I could wait, and not have to accept or settle for the first job that came along.

I was done with Real Estate. 13 years and I just had no passion for it anymore. I love event planning, I'm a planning extraordinaire... but lucky for me I can tap into that already. My real passion, now, is with Parenting.

Then I saw it.

A magazine I have read and respected for SO long was looking for me. And I say that, because there was this sudden excitement that waved over me as soon as I read their words. It was the same wave of excitement that hit me when I was offered the job. And the same wave of excitement that came the night before my first day. Like Christmas Eve.

I've returned to work, for the right job. The PERFECT job. And I couldn't be happier.

Ryder has settled into the increase in day care (and funnily enough he's sleeping better at night!), I'm interacting with adults and contributing to our finances again, which right now makes me feel really, really good. Except at 5:30am... I don't feel so good in the early hours of the morning!

2 comments:

  1. Good on you for doing what works for you and trusting your gut instinct!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Diana :) It's a great feeling being back in the adult world. I feel like I am accomplishing more with my days now, and for some reason I am more exhausted, yet have more energy! If anything, it's forcing me to be organised, and I love it xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting <3