Thursday, April 5, 2012

An Afternoon at the Footy


You know you're a mother of boys when you find yourself at the Football.

That was me last Sunday.

My husband, Cameron won tickets through a local Radio Station. We didn't have a great deal of notice - but for the 2 days that I knew we were going I was dreading it. I had images in my head of sitting amongst 'insert football team' colours, having a mass of drunk brogans swearing around my children and I was not picturing myself having any fun whatsoever. But being the good wife + mummy that I am, I smiled, packed the car with the boys and we headed on in for a late Sunday afternoon game. I even managed to wear some appropriate coloured clothing. That's just how good a wife I am.

I had always wanted to go to a Football game, I wanted to experience the atmosphere and see what the big deal is. I'm not a sport person at all, but it was something to tick off the list... and I thought at least by going, I'd have proven that I have tried to enjoy it.

From the moment we got out of the car, Logan was a ball of excitement. He had a Port scarf from Hubby's collection and was rearranging it from a crop top, into something that resembled a nappy, then a belly scarf, a hat... basically he was messing around with it + waving it around with pride. He was proud. He was seeing Football 'like TV!' + he took the scarf and his entry ticket to school for 'Show and Tell' the following week

My husband was one of those people that yell out to the players. "Honey, they can't hear you!"
Luckily for me, his voice was on the way out as he was a bit under the weather before the game... so his little outbursts weren't long-lived.

Ryder slept! He slept for almost half of the game. In my arms, holding my hand and sleeping soundly.
Not even flinching at every goal. And there were many.

All in all though, I did enjoy myself, the kids enjoyed themselves AND I'd go again. Yes, I'd go again!

AND towards the end of the game when it was a bit climatic... I was cheering.
Yes, I was cheering... at a football game! Holy Guacamole!!

The atmosphere and the sheer excitement of the game (especially when you're winning) is so easy to get caught up in. I know NOTHING about Football... I know what a goal and a point are and what a mark is, but the rest of it makes no sense to me. BUT with every goal and every mark, I had my hands up in the air, clapping. Cheering.

Football in person is SO MUCH BETTER than watching it on TV.

I still dislike it on TV... but if another game comes up that works with whatever we're doing on that weekend, then I think we'll go.

And the kids are getting Port Power memberships (THAT I don't have choice over... hubby is a Port Supporter)

I eat my words now. Football isn't totally bad. Sorry hubby

1 comment:

  1. He I was away for a while but I'm back and blogging again.

    I wish you a wonderful easter

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting <3