Saturday, May 12, 2012

The Eve of Mother's Day

Mother's Day last year saw me crack a wobbly. And our first marital fight.

I look back on it and laugh... but at the time I was seething.

You see, my husband is a 'yes' man. He's generous, he's loyal and most of all he is SUCH a lover and giver, that he puts himself last to anyone and everyone around him. This can be seen as both a strength and weakness in the personality stakes.

On this day, the above was a weakness. And as a result of his inability to say no, I lost my shit.

We spent the morning of Mother's Day 2011 at his mother's house. My mother in law is a kind soul with her heart in the right place, most of the time, but she also has a knack for having Cameron help her around the house. That's fine, that's what sons are for (well I hope so because I am bringing up 2 of them!)... but she leaves it until we are all packed up and saying our goodbyes.

We had a late breakfast and as we were considering leaving, Cameron was asked to hang up some pictures. Of course, he said yes and I planted my pregnant bum on the couch in front of the football, thinking it would be a 5-min job.

It wasn't.

An hour later, with steam coming from my ears, I got up off the couch and as politely as I could given the mood, I asked if he were done yet as Mother's Day is almost over. I still had to go and visit my own mother AND also try and get some time with Logan considering it was also my Mother's Day too.

The short story was that I was still waiting... my mum didn't get a visit nor did I get any real time with my little family. Hubby got the silent treatment the whole drive home and the 'megs explosion' took place as soon as we got home.

I was angry. Livid. And Mother's Day 2011 was crappy.

Could it not have waited until we were there another time?! It's not like we don't go to her house!

I am sentimental and Mother's Day can't be crappy.

This year I am sure it will be different.
I am now a mother to 2 little boys and hubby has learnt to say 'no'.

Not only that, but I planned what I wanted to do with my little family for first thing in the morning. We'll swing past my mother in laws on the way home, so if we stay there a bit longer than planned, then that's OK. (Up here for thinking, right?!)

Have a GREAT Mother's Day tomorrow guys! I know I will!

xx

4 comments:

  1. we celebrate 'our mothers and fathers days' the weekend after. So on the real 'day' it's about my mum and hubby's mum. Then the following Sunday we do our own mothers and fathers days. that way we get a whole day just with me, hubby and my 3 children. has worked well for us for the past 8 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a GREAT idea!! I may have to steal that idea if we keep having issues ;) xx

      Delete

Thanks for commenting <3