Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The ZOOM Effect

There was an article in today's The Advertiser, "Parents Unable to let go of Work". I read it and it got me thinking about what I call 'The ZOOM Effect' and how it subsequently affects families.

I call it 'The ZOOM Effect' due to the need to be busy, and the need to rush EVERYTHING.
I am the first to admit I am guilty of it.

In our household, we go out on a Sunday afternoon for a drive to our favourite bakery every now and then, and for some reason I find myself rushing.
Rushing to get there. Rushing to eat. Rushing to get home.

And I have NO reason for it whatsoever. For some reason I am just not made to be able to take my time and relax. I don't know how to be present in each and every moment and I am always waiting for something to be over so I can move on to something else.

That my friends, is 'The ZOOM Effect'.

I blame this on my generation, the introduction of Social Media, the Internet and all the recent additions to society that now run instantly. Because with all of that, it has created a demand for NOW.

There's no sending letters anymore. There's no such thing as waiting until the shops open - there are restaurants open 24-hours. And there are also supermarkets that deliver. That doesn't even include online shopping via eBay, etc.

All of this has created a much more demanding public (me). And as a result people are working harder and longer to meet demands, even if it means taking work home, or working overtime. Or both.

I don't know how to overcome it, especially when mortgage rates are high and the cost of living is even higher, so the need to work more is strong. And people are waiting longer to have children, after their careers are established... careers that are demanding, that continue to demand post-children.

It's a vicious cycle, and it's SO hard to find that happy medium. It really is.

All I know is that as a parent, I do the BEST that I can with the time that I have.

But I will try and stop rushing.
I will slow down and be more present in the moments that I share with my children.
I will play on the playground, instead of sitting under the tree and watching Logan play alone.
I will join in on more creative time, more play time and more fun time.

I will work smarter, not harder.

__________________________________

How do you cope in your working life?
How do you juggle and balance your life as a parent, against your life as an employee/business owner?

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting <3