Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Knock-Out Gnocchi!


This is a recipe that I am most proud of: it's my own creation duplicating a dish that was discontinued at a local restaurant. I went there one day with a similar dish in mind (having had it there before) and wasn't impressed to find it replaced with something else {don't you hate that?!}. So instead, I went to the supermarket with the intention of copying it. Well, I wasn't able to source a couple of items so found the next best thing and voila! I love this more! Everyone I've made this for have loved it and it has quickly become my signature dish, that I'm now willing to share :)

INGREDIENTS (Serves 4, Medium-Sized):

3 skinless chicken breasts, cubed
1/4 cup chopped sundried tomatoes
300ml cream
1 1/2 cups grated cheese
500g packet Gnocchi
150g baby spinach, washed
1/4 cup pine nuts

Firstly, brown the chicken in a large saucepan {or an electric wok, this works well!}. Whilst this is browning, put a saucepan of water on the stove and bring to the boil. Once boiled, add the gnocchi and allow to cook until it rises to the surface. Strain.

Add chopped sundried tomatoes to the chicken, and mix.

Add the cream to the chicken and coat, allow it to simmer for a couple of minutes and add the cheese. Stir and simmer until the cheese has melted and has mixed in with the cream. Add the strained gnocchi and stir gently. Simmer for another 5 minutes.

Add the pine nuts and mix, then add the spinach. It is important to add the spinach last to ensure that you don't overcook it. You want it to be cooked just enough so the green is vibrant, if it starts to darken, then it's overcooked. You only need to cook the spinach long enough so it starts to welt. It will continue to cook once off the heat and you are serving it up.

Enjoy!!

3 comments:

  1. YUM!

    I all kinds of love this.

    It's perfect, because I will love it minus the chicken.

    And my husband will love it WITH chicken :)

    Win win. Food for the vegetarian, food for the non vegetarian.

    All in one beautiful meal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks awesome!!! Is there a healthy (non carb) version of gnocci?? Silly question??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure you could replace gnocchi with a wheat based pasta (like the wholemeal ones), but I don't think using couscous would be good with the cream sauce. Give it a go though! I am pretty sure that gnocchi is a healthier alternative than everyday pasta... :)

    And Cherie, yes, you will LOVE it! I am not a vegetarian, but I LOVE my vegetables. This dish is so tasty, the chicken isn't the main ingredient so you won't even notice if it's not there!

    Enjoy ladies! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting <3